Everyone knows that using toothpaste is necessary in order to keep teeth and gums healthy. Toothpaste gently scrubs away tartar and food debris, leaving your teeth clean and your breath fresh. But, did you know that you can use toothpaste for things other than cleaning your teeth? You may have heard that you can use toothpaste to patch drywall, but the uses for toothpaste extend much farther! Take a look at our top five weird uses for toothpaste:
- Hand Deodorizer – Toothpaste gets rid of garlic breath, so why not use to get rid of smelly hands? After chopping onions or garlic, use toothpaste to de-stink hands. Apply toothpaste, just like you would soap, and scrub your hands in cold water. Avoid using warm water because the heat opens up pores and locks in the icky smell.
- Remove Drink Rings – Toothpaste is known for its cleaning abilities, but did you know that you can even use it on your wooden furniture? If you forgot to use a drink coaster, and left the marks to prove it, not to worry! Remove those pesky drink rings with a mixture of half toothpaste and half baking soda. Use a damp cloth to gently rub the mixture on the rings and watch them disappear before your eyes!
- Treat a Bee Sting – Bee stings are never fun, but to quickly lessen the pain and inflammation, apply a bit of toothpaste. The toothpaste contains ingredients like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and alcohol that help to dry out the venom that has been injected into the skin. When the irritant is dried out, the pain from the sting decreases drastically.
- De-fog Your Bathroom Mirror – After a long, hot shower, there’s a good chance that your mirrors are fogged up. This can be quite annoying if you’re in a hurry to get ready and out the door. Believe it or not, if you apply a thin layer of toothpaste on the mirror before a shower and then wipe it off, it prevents the mirror from fogging up!
- Improve Fingernails – Toothpaste is formulated to make your teeth white, strong, and shiny. And the key ingredients that do this can also be applied to your fingernails. Use a toothbrush (not the one you use for your teeth!) to scrub a whitening toothpaste onto your fingernails once a week. The toothpaste will clean your nails, while strengthening and buffering them at the same time!
What are some of your favorite weird uses for toothpaste? Add to our list in the comments below!
About Shadow Valley Dental Group
Shadow Valley Dental Group provides comprehensive dental care to patients in the Toledo area. In addition to providing general dental services such as cleanings and fillings, the professionals at Shadow Valley offer cosmetic dental services, implants, and more. To make an appointment, contact Shadow Valley today!
Phone: (419) 865-3085